Our prestigious Not-For-Profit Trade Association client requires a Senior Events Specialist for their Ottawa office.
Under the direction of the Director, Practice and Policy, the resource acts as a significant contributor to the Practice and Policy team, taking the lead in planning all aspects of professional meetings and events the association. Marketing the value of the event is an important aspect of the work.
A recognized team player with a positive attitude, the resource must have strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent interpersonal skills. Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite programs, as well as a detailed member database is also required.
Will be required to work some evenings and weekends, and attend some coordinated events.
• Post-Secondary degree or diploma in a related field;
• Minimum of five years event coordination experience;
• Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Outlook;
• Excellent organizational and time management skills, with a strong ability to multi-task;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, with an attention to detail;
• Proven ability to work independently, establish priorities, resolve problems and meet deadlines;
• Ability to interact confidently and effectively with colleagues, members, external contacts (e.g. speakers, contractors, etc.), as well as the public;
• Ability to balance the competing demands of routine work with the special requirements of new priorities, and to pay attention to detail as well as maintain a broad perspective;
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment;
• Bilingual (English and French) is essential;
• Understanding of marketing and how to demonstrate the value of an event to members;
• Ability to think critically, suggest changes and upgrades to processes to enhance organizational effectiveness;
• Tact, diplomacy, discretion, maturity of judgement and professionalism;
• Basic knowledge of HTML or website management considered an asset;
• Familiarity or experience working in a not-for-profit environment or professional association.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
The responsibilities include:
• Meet with internal staff and external components or stakeholders to understand the purpose of the meeting or event;
• Plan the scope of the event, including time, location and cost;
• Solicit bids from venues and service providers (for example: AV, registration systems)
• Coordinate event services such as rooms, transportation and food service;
• Monitor event activities to ensure they meet the requirements of components and stakeholders;
• Ensure deadlines and deliverables are met to host a national event with high member value;
• Act as primary contact and liaison for conference logistics, including planning for all ancillary and eye-opener meetings;
• Take the lead with a contracted registration system and coordination of event registration;
• Work with the communications team to develop event marketing and communications messages;
• Provide administrative assistance, including preparing agendas, minutes and other communication support to the conference committees ;
• Work with Business Development Manager to coordinate sponsorship and trade show exhibits;
• Establish the staff schedule and on-site task assignments for events and Congress;
• Coordinate the activities of staff as required to successfully execute all aspects of the event;
• Coordinate the logistics of events by maintaining an up-to-date critical path, developing templates for event requests, registration, speaker invites, and submission forms, and other critical tools for event planning;
• Oversee management of plenary and keynote speakers;
• Grow the size and reach of the Biennial Conference to an event with unbeatable member-value;
• Make recommendations to support calls for proposals and the evaluation of vendor contracts;
• Respond to routine correspondence and requests for information;
Perform other duties as assigned.
We thank all interested submitters, but only those being considered for interview will be contacted.
Send resume to : firstname.lastname@example.org