Administrative Assistant, Legal Services
Reports to: General Counsel
Our exclusive client is a National Professional Trade Association. They have an exciting opening for the right candidate, a Bilingual Administrative Assistant in their Legal Services Division.
Candidate must be a Canadian Citizen and eligible for Top Secret Clearance.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Review correspondence in relation to the Office of the General Counsel. Direct correspondence appropriately or respond to the matter personally when appropriate.
- Schedule meetings with staff, members, elected officials, external counsel, etc. Prepare agendas and assemble meeting documentation. Reserve meeting rooms, arrange meals, book necessary travel.
- Receive and review legal invoices and code invoices accordingly for payment.
- Coordinate travel arrangements and complete expense claims in accordance with company policies.
- Draft briefing memos, letters, reports, minutes, and other documents, as needed by the Counsel’s Office.
- Receive and review correspondence and documents; compose routine correspondence; assemble outgoing documents and correspondence to ensure they are properly directed and delivered, ensuring deadlines are met.
- Draft retainer letters for external counsel as directed by General Counsel.
- Develop, organize, and maintain the legal file management system. Ensure the integrity of legal files and records. Ensure all documents from legal services are retained for the number of years required by the Law Society of Ontario. Create and maintain an index of legal files, an index of active and closed files and a legal status report for all active files. Maintain legal reference material.
- Liaise with the President, Vice-Presidents, CAO, Regional Directors, Staff Directors, Labour Relations Officers and all staff to maintain open communication with the legal services provided by the Counsel’s Office.
- Liaise with retained law firms to coordinate the exchange of relevant information and ensure progress on cases.
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of legal files (documents, correspondence, notes, etc.).
- Respond to inquiries on various topics related to the activities of the Counsel’s Office.
- Coordinate deadlines and deliverables and maintain a “bring forward system” for relevant reports and updates on behalf of the Counsel’s Office.
- May be requested to conduct other related duties, as required by the Counsel’s Office.
Qualifications / Essential Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- College diploma or certificate in Office Administration, Business Administration, or a related field and some years of experience in office administration or in a related field
- High school diploma with several years (3-5) of experience in office administration or in a related field
- Bilingualism (English/French) is required.
- Must be eligible for Secret status security clearance.
- Good knowledge of labour relations or legal practices, principles, and terminology, as well as an understanding of confidential office practices and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal skills and values which facilitate successful performance in a team-based environment
- Experience in a busy office setting.
- Ability to multi-task; take the initiative; be proactive; problem-solve; brainstorm; flexible.
- Excellent database administration skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Sound judgement and tact.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations, new ideas and concepts.
- Basic accounting skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite, Excel.
Superior salary and benefits await the successful candidate.
We thank all interest, but only those being considered for interview will be contacted.
Send resume to: email@example.com