Our exclusive client is an industry leader in gas turbine and component test solutions. They require an Engineering Estimator to join their firm in Ottawa. The ideal candidate will be a polished professional with 5 to 7 year experience.
Oil and gas for engine use and international estimating is a huge asset.
As an Engineering Estimator, you’ll play a central and high profile role in winning new business which will in turn influence the future strategic direction of the company. You will be responsible for liaising with personnel across all engineering departments to help converge upon cost effective solutions to meet the complex and diverse technical needs of their growing client base. You will be a key contributor to cost and commercial management of proposals and will gain wide exposure to business development strategies for selling engineering products and services internationally to major gas turbine manufacturers.
- Reviewing customer technical and commercial requirements, being responsible for identifying key cost drivers and potential cost-capability trade offs;
- Working in close collaboration with Sales and Proposal Managers to agree strategies to develop technical solutions and commercial models to meet client needs, often in challenging timescales and competitive bid scenarios;
- Consulting with operations and multi-disciplinary engineering resources to support the development of solutions and 3rd party scope definitions for soliciting external proposals;
- Responsible for preparing estimates to account for costs of execution including internal resource hours, procurement of 3rd party equipment/services, delivery and on-site installation and commissioning activities;
- Participating in review of 3rd party proposals to ensure any gaps or inconsistencies in the technical and commercial solution are understood and duly accounted for, be it via baseline cost inclusions or factored contingency;
- Depending upon the price quality requested by the client, exercising sound judgement in leveraging a blend of estimation methods, including but not limited to extrapolation of costs from historical data and parametric type analyses, as may be best suited to meet the needs of the proposal team in meeting the deadline;
- In concert with the wider proposals team, responsible for generation of costed risk registers, estimating pre- and post-mitigation factored contingency;
- Responsible for generating commercial sections of the overall proposal, including but not limited to consideration of cash flows and appropriate payment plans as well as capture of key assumptions, exclusions and dependencies which impact cost / risk;
- Working with subject matter experts to understand and account for costs / risks associated with taxation, duties, bonding and contractual terms;
- Leading briefings to senior management on cost builds, proposed selling presentations and potential negotiation strategies, in order to help our leaders make informed decisions to secure future business;
- Opportunities for direct client interaction and assisting in fielding post-submission price queries and challenges.
Required Experience and Competencies:
- At least 2 years’ experience in developing bespoke engineering solutions / services, systems engineering, commercial management and/or estimation;
- Ability to interpret complex requirement statements and distill key information, including cost drivers and areas of schedule and technical risk;
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and Word;
- An astute individual with a keen eye for detail who is willing to challenge and be challenged;
- Ability to convey complex information clearly and concisely in an engaging manner that helps people in different parts of the organisation retain key messages;
- Capable of multi-tasking without missing deadlines, establishing an action plan for self and others to complete work efficiently and on time;
- A team player who can also operate with a degree of autonomy where required;
- Eagerness to push the boundaries of your personal learning and development;
- Willing and able to travel internationally as required.
Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate:
- 5 or more years’ experience estimating engineering solutions at various stages of design maturity, from development of technical concepts all the way through to turn-key system delivery involving integration of multiple engineering disciplines and 3rd party supply components;
- University degree in Engineering, CET or equivalent;
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings;
- Graduate or post-graduate level qualifications in commercial or estimating disciplines;
- Ability to speak and/or comprehend foreign languages.
The Client is Offering
- Competitive salary;
- Salary bonus incentives program;
- Company matched Defined Contribution Pension Plan;
- Company subsidized health and welfare benefits program (including dental and medical);
- Fitness club membership reimbursement;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Support towards achieving and maintaining professional accreditation, where applicable
- Periodic performance and talent reviews;
- Flexible work arrangements, including potential for some remote working, where appropriate;
We thank all interest, but only those being considered for interview will be contacted.
Send resume to: email@example.com